Hunting and Fishing on
Colorado State Trust Lands,
State Wildlife Areas and State Fish Units

elk in a meadow

The list of State Trust Lands and Wildlife Areas available in Colorado is presented here, broken down by counties. Just make a selection below and you can see what's offered. This list was current as of May, 2007.

Before you visit, there's a couple of things to know:

  • Unless otherwise posted, all State Trust Lands leased by CDOW are closed from March 1 to August 31, but some State Wildlife Areas are open year-round for wildlife viewing purposes.
  • State Trust Lands are open only for hunting, fishing and wildlife viewing.
  • Camping is not allowed on State Trust Lands, but is on some State Wildlife Areas.
  • Target practice or target shooting is prohibited on State Trust Lands.
  • Youths under 16 must be accompanied by a mentor who is at least 18 or older and who has complied with the hunter education requirements.
  • State Trust Lands are closed from 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise.
  • A Colorado Wildlife Habitat Stamp is required of everyone 19-64 years old who purchases hunting or fishing licenses. The stamp is $5 and is added to each of the first 2 licenses you buy in any calendar year. That Habitat Stamp allows you access to all State Trust Lands leased by CDOW and to all State Wildlife Areas.
  • People aged 19-64 who visit State Trust Lands or State Wildlife Areas without buying a hunting or fishing license must pay $10.25 (per calendar year) for the privilege.
  • For $200, anyone can buy a Lifetime Habitat Stamp. logo